Monday, March 23, 2009

Ultra Vamp




The title of the spread is Anna Karenina. But I was briefed differently.




"I want 'Brides of Dracula,' squealed Earnest Seah the fashion editor for Solitaire. I was intrigued. There is nothing more exciting to a makeup artist than the challenge to do something out of the ordinary. However, I was warned that gore was a no-no!






Earnest had insisted on blood red lips and the whole entire looked started out from there. I looked into my box and there wasn't anything that deep so I went shopping. Finally, I found a red dark enough at The Body Shop (limited edition). With the lip colour settled, I headed home to plan the look.




We wanted a really pale look but yet glamorous. I decided to give the two models smoky eyes: one black and the other russet. I found Boujois shimmer black which was more of a grey and used it all over the entire eye area including the lower lids. I used a MAC deep black to define the contours of the eyes to create a 'glamorous gaunt' (if there ever was such a thing. Just love fashionspeak). The other model was given brown mix with bronze for a reddish tone and the eyelashes were stroked with blonde mascara.


Then I outlined and filled the lips with a brown eye pencil. Then I followed with the deep red lip colour I found at The Body Shop. The lip colour comes with a clear gloss at the other end of the wand, which I decide to omit for a matte look.

Cheeks were given just a Hint of Rose (discontinued) from L'Oreal to add just a little colour without overpowering the look.

Next Ivan Kweh worked on the hair to create that Transylvannian princess coif for the models, while Ming, the manicurist gave the girls some glamorous 'talons'. The prep took more than two hours, but Earnest kept us all entertained and well fed - there was food galore. As this is a jewellery shoot, the clients personally delivered the pieces and contributed food to the already lavish spread that Earnest had already prepared.


Aidan the photographer captured the girls against a white background the the palatial background that you see in the pictures were digitally added in at the magazine layout stage.

No comments: